Dear parents, guardians, and friends;
Experts from El Paso County, The American Red Cross, The Coalition for the Upper South Platte, the Colorado Department of Transportation, as well as other organizations, are beginning a long-term campaign to bring awareness of the implications of potential land/mudslides to our area. Manitou Springs School District 14 is working in collaboration with these organizations to help our citizens create emergency plans and to understand our procedures when landslides close Highway 24 or other low-lying areas of our school district. These experts believe such a closure is highly likely.
What You Need to Know Now:
1. Manitou Springs School District 14 has plans in place for:
• evacuating schools in a forest fire, flood/landslide, or other natural disasters
• providing safe shelter, food, and water to students separated from their families due to a road closure along the Highway 24 corridor
• establishing methods of communication with parents in the event of a natural disaster
• linking families to resources so they can prepare for natural disaster
2. If a natural disaster happens during school hours, your children will be safe and cared for even if you are unable to communicate with the school or travel to the school. Our plans cover all basic needs for your child.
3. We will dispense any medication you have provided us with a written approval from your child’s physician.
Information Meetings to Attend:
What: El Paso County Emergency Flood/Fire Preparedness Meeting
When: April 8 & 9, 6:30-8:30 both evenings
Where: Ute Pass Elementary School Gym
Why: You will learn:
• Where floods are likely
• How to prepare your family & be safe
• How to establish a communications plan
• How the school will respond
Learn More Now:
The following is just a sample of the resources available to our community to help individuals and organizations plan for natural disasters including flood, landslide, and fire:
• El Paso County Emergency Response: http://www.fema.gov/what-mitigation/plan-prepare
• FEMA: http://www.fema.gov/what-mitigation/plan-prepare
• ReadyColorado: http://www.readycolorado.com/
• ReadyColorado Communications Plan: http://www.readycolorado.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/familycommunicationsfillable.pdf
We are working with experts, first responders, and our staff to plan, rehearse, and prepare for natural disasters. We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming meetings.
Edward D. Longfield
Superintendent of Schools, Manitou Springs School District 14